Friday, February 25, 2011

Gave it my best shot...

I have an intense (100% self inflicted) phobia of needles. Doctors, blood, shots, etc. I have passed out in multiple doctors offices, caused a scene and given my mother a half dozen heart attacks. The end of last summer, after our 1/2 marathon and my stint in the hospital I had to get my blood drawn a lot. A lot. After 2 days of constant needles, I became slightly more comfortable with the idea. This awareness led me to believe that maybe I could de-sensitize to the whole issue.

SO when a blood drive came to our school I thought, what a perfect opportunity! So after nature study class, I walked over with my friend and took the plunge. Signed up, I got a sticker with my name on it, answered a million questions and waited for my number to be called. I walked into the open room and saw rows of beds with people lying on them and bags of blood filling up. They looked like corpses. I was a little put off but went with it.

My number was called and the nurse took me back and pricked my finger to check my blood. Um, finger prick: OW. And she picked my right hand which was annoying. My poor ring finger felt like it had a pulse. I was only imagining what those daunting beds had in store for me. SO after blood levels were assessed, I was assigned to a bed and told to lie down. My nurse wasn't my style. She didn't like talking to me and when I asked her if "donating blood" was like "getting your blood drawn" and she looks at me and goes: "No. The needle is bigger and we take much more blood." Wonderful.

I did it like a champ. Didn't cry. Squeezed the little heart grip ball just like she said. They played good music. 8 minutes later...

Then I get assigned to the snacks table for 15 minutes. They give you this pamphlet to read, my friend Laura was already there. I WAS HOME FREE! Munching on Nutter-butters and pretzels, drinking water, Laura and I were exchanging nurse stories. My arm felt like it got punched and my finger was throbbing, but I made it.

SYKE. The temperature in the room climbed 100 degrees. My hearing got fuzzy, eye sight blurred, I knew these signs all too well. A bell was rung, nurses swarmed. Yep. I pass out at the snacks table.

The bed on rollers and cold towels felt good. I only needed about 15 minutes before I returned back to the snacks table for another 15 minutes to "see how I did." Laura stayed with me. Partly freaked out, partly laughing. I told her this happens sometimes but that I was trying to desensitize myself to it all. What a joke.

Moral of the story, epic fail. I called my mom in Hawaii and she asked me why in the world I would even attempt such a thing. But the important thing is that I TRIED and someone very special is going to enjoy my blood :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Unlike your mother, I do see why you would "do such a thing", :-) and am proud of you---WAY TO GO!! I think you conquered some fear and know that you could do it again....xoxo Nana.